APPROACH AND PROBLEM SCOPING CASE STUDY
In this Module 4 Case Assignment you will build upon the Problem Scoping analysis you prepared in your Module 3 SLP assignment by:
- Developing three alternative solutions that address the problem definition and criteria that you identified.
- Comparing the pros and cons of those three alternatives.
- Selecting the best alternative.
- Developing a logical argument to support your choice.
You will apply these same analytic skills throughout your health sciences program, and they will serve you very well in your professional life.APPROACH AND PROBLEM SCOPING CASE STUDY .
Use the Evaluate Alternative Solutions Template to complete your Case Assignment.
Note: Developing alternative solutions is essentially a brainstorming process. What can you do to solve the problem? That is an alternative. Proposed alternatives should be consistent with the problem(s) that you identified in your Module 3 SLP assignment.
Developing a list of good alternatives involves creativity and avoiding preconceived attitudes (knee-jerk solutions) and assumptions. Guidelines for alternative development include:
- DON'T SETTLE FOR YOUR FIRST IDEA!
- Good designers try to generate as many possible solutions as they can before choosing one that they feel is the best. This creative process of developing ideas is called ideation.
- Methods of ideation include:APPROACH AND PROBLEM SCOPING CASE STUDY .
- Examine existing solutions
- Conduct brainstorming sessions. Remember the first rule of brainstorming – every idea is a viable one.
- Develop as many alternatives as possible. When you are done, try to categorize your alternatives. Then develop three alternatives.
- Sketching and doodling to create pictures of possible solutions.
This assignment needs to be completed in paragraph format using full sentences. Insert the decision table you made into your Word document. Use this Insert Table file demonstrating techniques to Insert Tables into Word Documents.
Submit to your Case drop box by the module due date.APPROACH AND PROBLEM SCOPING CASE STUDY.
Now that you know a little more about creative problem solving and the importance of health literacy, you will take the next step to approaching a problem by completing the initial phase of Creative Problem Solving: Problem Scoping. This process establishes clear requirements for creating a viable final solution. It often is initiated by the identification of a need or issue. This part of the problem-solving process focuses on the issue/need by gathering and analyzing information. In other words, you will clearly define what needs to be done prior to creating an effective solution.APPROACH AND PROBLEM SCOPING CASE STUDY. This SLP will help you practice your problem-scoping skills by completing a clear, focused Problem Scoping Document. This will provide a clear problem definition and target for solution development.Problem Scoping Assignment Instructions:As you complete the problem-scoping phase, your proposed document will include the following information:
- Develop a problem statement.
- Determine any potential constraints.
- Determine the criteria.
- Identify the stakeholders.
- Develop a procedure for gathering data prior to decision making.
Be sure to thoroughly complete and submit the Problem Scoping Document Template.Select a public health issue from the CDC website that you reviewed for Module 3 at http://www.cdc.gov/features/datastatistics.html and incorporate the information found there into a Problem Scoping document by following these steps:
- Determine what questions you would ask yourself:
- Scope of the problem—Part of the Problem Statement.
- When and where the problem occurs—Part of the Problem Statement.
- Impact—Part of the Problem Statement.
- Identify two criteria related to the problem statement that you created.
- Who is directly involved with the problem? Stakeholders?
- Determine how you would gather data important to educating the public on this issue.APPROACH AND PROBLEM SCOPING CASE STUDY.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Address each step above in the Problem Scoping Word document template. Submit to your SLP dropbox by the module due date. APPROACH AND PROBLEM SCOPING CASE STUDY.