Assessment and Care of the Elderly Essay
Choose an older adult to interview. This cannot be a patient in your clinical setting. You can use a friend, family member, or co-worker. The older adult should be 65 years or older. Use the format provided to record the responses. A list of questions is available for you to start with. Include 2–3 questions of your own to get a complete picture of the older adult. Summarize your findings and also contrast the responses with findings in your readings and other current literature.Assessment and Care of the Elderly Essay
This form should be used as an example:
INTERVIEW OF CHOSEN ELDER ADULT
Brief Introduction (Background information):
1. Philosophy on living a long life:
2. Thoughts about when a person is considered “too old”:
3. Opinion on the status and treatment of older adults:
4. Beliefs about health and illness:Assessment and Care of the Elderly Essay
5. Health promotion activities he or she participates in:
6. Something special that helped the person live so long:
7. Life span of other family members:
8. Special dietary traditions in patient’s culture attributed with aiding long life:
9. Any remedies/medications that have been handed down in family/group. If yes, describe.
10. Patient’s description of current and past health status
11. The values that guided life so far
Contrast of client’s responses with findings in current literature:]Assessment and Care of the Elderly Essay
After gaining permission, conduct a physical and mental functional assessment of the older adult you have chosen. Review your readings for the process of functional assessment.
Make use of the tools discussed this week to complete a comprehensive assessment of your patient. Search the Internet for resources on these tools.Assessment and Care of the Elderly Essay
Tinetti Balance and Gait Evaluation
Katz Index of Activities of Daily Living
Assessment of Home Safety
The Barthel Index
Make sure the older adult is clearly identified on the tools. Do not include their name, but do include professional or other designation, and age. Your name should also be identified on the tool. (This should be a part of your Appendix.)Assessment and Care of the Elderly Essay
Compare and contrast the age-related changes of the older person you interviewed and assessed with those identified in this week’s reading assignment. During this data analysis process provide at least 4–6 preliminary issues that you have identified. Identify three alterations in health that you would propose and describe them. Identify a minimum of three comprehensive interventions for each problem.Assessment and Care of the Elderly Essay
Make sure that you integrate personal cultural awareness and cultural competency.
Paper should be 5–6 pages, not including the questionnaire or tools used. These should be attached as an Appendix. Remember to use headings to identify the different sections in your paper.
On a separate references page, cite all sources using APA format.Assessment and Care of the Elderly Essay