Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
Let’s start with a broad overview of public health nursing. The three core functions of public health are assessment, assurance, and policy development (Nies & McEwen, 2015, p. 6).
- Describe one of these core public health functions.
- Discuss how this core function relates to one intervention from the Public Health Intervention Wheel (Nies & McEwen, 2015, pp. 14–15).
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
Devry NR443 week 1 DQ 2
Determinants of Health (graded)
What makes some healthy and others ill? Healthy People 2020 identifies five determinants of health that influence the health of individuals and populations. Healthy People 2020 describes them as “A range of personal, social, economic, and environmental factors that influence health status are known as determinants of health” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2014, About Determinants of Health, para. 1). Determinants fall into five categories including: (a) policy making, (b) social factors, (c) health services, (d) individual behavior, and (e) biology and genetics.
- Go to the “Determinants of Health” link http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundation-health-measures/Determinants-of-Health and click on each determinant to read about all of the determinants. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Choose one of the five determinants. In your posting, describe this determinant and its importance.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2014) HealthyPeople2020: About Determinants of Health. Retrieved fromhttp://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundation-health-measures/Determinants-of-Health
Devry NR443 week 2
Windshield Survey (graded)
In this discussion thread, you will view a windshield survey video of a community called Iron Ridge to practice performing part of a windshield survey. Review the categories and questions in Box 6-2 on page 98 of your text (Nies & McEwen, 2015).
- Click HERE to view the windshield survey video.
- Click HERE to read a transcript of the video. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
Next, choose one of the six assessment categories from Box 6-2, and discuss what you observed about Iron Ridge related to the questions in that category.
Also, discuss how a community health nurse might prioritize the identified needs to begin planning an intervention.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier
Devry NR443 week 2 DQ 2
Demographic and Epidemiological Assessment (graded)
For this post, you will collect assessment data about your city or county. This post will include information about demographics (general characteristics) and epidemiological data (disease or health behavior rates) of your community. This data collection will help with two sections of your Week 4 Milestone 2 Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Demographic data: Go online to the U.S. Census Bureau at http://quickfacts.census.gov/. Obtain information about the demographic characteristics of the population for your city or county of residence. You may have to look at county data if your city is not listed. Collect a range of demographic data about age, ethnicity, poverty levels, housing, and education.
- Epidemiological data: Go to your city or county health department website (search the Internet) or County Health Rankings (http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/) to discuss epidemiological data about your area. Identify several priority health concerns for your area.
Here is a helpful tip sheet about the
Devry NR443 week 3
Caring for Vulnerable Populations (graded)
This week, you are learning about many different vulnerable populations. Choose one vulnerable population.
- Briefly describe this vulnerable population. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Discuss several risk factors that may impact health outcomes for this group.
- Describe two priorities for community health nurses working with this population.
Assuring Resources for the Vulnerable (graded)
Review the Week 3 Case Study that may be found in Doc Sharing.
Assurance is one of the three core functions of public health. Find a resource in your community (other than WIC) that could assist Mary during her pregnancy. Start by searching the Internet for your local health department’s website. What services do they provide for pregnant women or those with mental health concerns? What about your local welfare office? Do they provide prenatal or mental health services? Are there any service organizations, crisis pregnancy centers, or churches providing help for pregnant women or those experiencing mental health concerns?
- Briefly describe the types of services that you found.
- Choose one agency and assess this agency in terms of the 4 As. Is it accessible, acceptable, affordable, or available for Mary or other pregnant women that you case-manage?
Devry NR443 week 4
Concerns for the School Nurse (graded)
As the school nurse role evolves, there are increasingly more health concerns for the school nurse. Does the locale make a difference in the problems, or are health problems in children and adolescents universal? In some inner-city areas, violence is a prevalent issue. What do you think are the biggest problems in your areas?
Healthy People Objectives for Community Settings (graded)
The federal government developed Healthy People as a set of national health objectives that are revised every 10 years. These objectives are very specific in order to guide and measure our nation’s progress related to public health.
Please visit http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/. Click on a topic area that relates to a community health (CH) setting you are learning about. Click on the green Objectives area in that topic area to choose one Healthy People 2020 numbered objective.
- Describe the community health setting of interest (see Chapters 30–33).
- Discuss one specific numbered Healthy People 2020 objective (not a goal) related to this community health setting.
- How could a community health nurse help this setting meet this objective?
Here is a helpful “Introduction to Healthy People 2020 website” document to aid you in navigating the HP 2020 website.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2014). Healthy People 2020: 2020 Topics & Objectives. Retrieved from http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/
Devry NR443 week 5
Population Health Intervention Strategies (graded)
Review the Week 5 Case Study found in Doc Sharing.
You will continue in your role as a nurse with your local health department. Examine your online lesson, assigned readings, and visit The Community Guide website:http://www.thecommunityguide.org/ to explore interventions related to violence or excess alcohol use. Choose one evidence-based intervention that is recommended, and present this intervention to the task force.
- Summarize this intervention and and discuss the community health nurse’s role in implementing this strategy.
- Describe whether it is considered a primary, secondary, or tertiary prevention strategy and include your rationale (see Nies & McEwen, 2015, Chapter 1, p. 7 for a review of levels of prevention).
Community Preventive Services Task Force. (2014). The Community Guide. Retrieved from http://www.thecommunityguide.org/
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
Disaster and Communicable Disease Preparedness (graded)
Preparing for disasters or communicable disease outbreaks is an important part of public health nursing. Visit the websitehttp://www.ready.govand http://www.ready.gov/pandemic. Review the steps for being prepared for a disaster or pandemic.
- As a community health nurse, what elements do you think are important to stress to the community?
- How well is your community prepared for a potential outbreak or disaster?
Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2014). Ready: Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed.Retrieved from http://www.ready.gov/
Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2014). Pandemic.Retrieved from
Devry NR443 week 6
Affordable Care Act (ACA) (graded)
Please explore the healthcare marketplace website at https://www.healthcare.gov/. Choose the get answers tab towards the top of the page. Review several of the topics under this tab and share something that you learned about how the marketplace works and how this would apply to those in your community.
The Affordable Care Act is a controversial topic, and I’m sure there are many different viewpoints represented in our class. For this discussion, let’s focus on understanding the basics of the marketplace so that we can provide accurate information for our patients and communities.
Devry NR443 week 1 DQ 2
Environmental Health (graded)
Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s MyEnvironment site at http://www.epa.gov/myenvironment/howUsePage.html. Review the site overview and enter your city, zip code, or location into the MyEnvironment box. Explore the site to learn more about your environment and things that might be impacting the health of its citizens.
- Identify something new you learned about your environment and how it could be affecting health by completing this statement, “I didn’t know _____.”
- How could you, in the role of a community health nurse, address these concerns?
Devry NR443 week 7
This week, you were assigned to read and review Recommendation 8 of IOM’s Future of Nursing Recommendations. Recommendation #8 states:Build an infrastructure for the collection and analysis of interprofessional healthcare workforce data.
- Visit http://thefutureofnursing.org/recommendation/detail/recommendation-8
- Consider the problem you identified in your Caring for Populations Milestone. How could collaboration be improved to enhance outcomes?
The Institute of Medicine. (2010). The future of nursing leading change, advancing health: Recommendation 8. Retrieved fromhttp://thefutureofnursing.org/recommendation/detail/recommendation-8
Ethics and Diversity (graded)
Review the Week 7 Case Study found in Doc Sharing.
You will continue in your role as a nurse with your local health department. As part of the health department’s “Think Cultural Health” seminar, each team member will discuss oneof the 15 National Cultural and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) standards. Visit https://www.thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/Content/clas.asp. Browse the site and click on the link to open the list of the National CLAS Standards.
- Describe one National CLAS Standard.
- Discuss one way that you could implement this standard for a specific cultural group in your community.
Office of Minority Health, Department of Health and Human Services. (2013). National standards for culturally and linguistically appropriate services in health and health care: a blueprint for advancing and sustaining CLAS policy and practice. Retrieved from https://www.thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/Content/clas.asp
Devry NR443 week 8
<pclass=”msonormal”>Future Directions (graded)
Reflect on what you have learned in this course. What could you take from it and bring into your current practice? Please share specific examples.
Caring for Populations: Milestone1: Community Windshield Survey Form
Directions: Please refer to the Milestone 1: Community Windshield Survey Guidelines and grading rubric for specific instructions in order to complete the information below. This assignment is worth 150 points.
Type your name, date, and observations directly on this form. Click Save as and save the file with the assignment name and your last name; for example, NR443 Windshield Survey Form_Smith. When you are finished, submit the form to the Week 2 Caring for Populations: Windshield Survey Dropbox by the deadline indicated in your guidelines.
|1. Introduction of Community (20 points)Identify the city and state of your community and briefly describe the community you will be using for this assignment. It should be the area where you live or the area surrounding your work setting but must include a residential area. Demographic data are not needed.|
|2. Windshield Survey (100 points)a. Vitality:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the community vitality.|
|b. Indicators of social and economic conditions:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the social and economic conditions.|
|c. Health Resources:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the health resources.|
|d. Environmental conditions related to health:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the environmental conditions.|
|e. Social functioning:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the social functioning.|
|f. Attitude toward healthcare:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the attitudes toward healthcare.|
|3. Conclusion: (20 pts)Provide a summary of your findings and your conclusion. What problems did you identify?|
|4. References:optional: List in APA format any referencesthat you used. If you include any references here, you must also include an in-text citation (author, year).|
Guidelines for Caring for PopulationsMilestone 2:
Assessment and Diagnosis
The purpose of this paper is to provide an opportunity to utilize community assessment strategies, uncover a community health problem, and identify the components of one community health nursing problem related to the community dynamics.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO2: Assess the health needs of individuals, families, aggregates, and communities using demographic and epidemiological data to identify population health risks. (PO 4)
CO6: Utilize a systems-based and collaborative approach to address factors that influence the health of a community and population health problems. (PO 2)
Submit to the appropriate basket in the Dropboxby 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday of Week 4.
Watch the Milestone 2 tutorialby clicking thislink. This tutorial is also available on Course Project page under Course Home as well as Week 4 Assignments page.
This paper is expected to be no more than fourpages in length (not including the title page and reference list). Below are the requirements for successful completion of this paper.Please use the following categories as the first level headings on your paper. See the documents in the APA category in Course Resources for assistance with APA formatting. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- [Introduction:]This beginning of your paper should catch the reader’s attention with interesting facts about your communityand shouldinclude the purpose statement of the paper. This should be one paragraph.APA states that you should not title this as introduction; however, you are still expected to write a separate introduction. The title of the paper should be repeated at the top of page two and centered.
- Community Overview: Identify the community that you are assessingby name and stateand provide a generaldescription of the community. What is the general character of the community?Statistics should not be included here. Your community should be the area you live or workin and should include a residential area. It should be a large enough area to answer the questions in the text. This should be one paragraph.
- Demographic Data: Compile a range of demographic (population description) data for your community by examining U.S. Census Bureau reports. Using this data, describe yourcommunity. Compare your community data to state or national data. A summary of this data should beno more than two paragraphs. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Epidemiological Data: Compile and summarize a range of epidemiological (illness, morbidity, and mortality) data for your community by examining data from sources such as city or county health department reports, County Health Rankings (countyhealthrankings.org), or the Centers for Disease Control to describe priority health problems in your area. See the Webliography for applicable sites to search. Compare your community to state or national data. This comparison will help to identify a priority community health problem specific to your community. A summary of this data should be no more than two paragraphs.
- Windshield Survey: Provide a summary of your observationsfrom your first milestone. Make sure to discuss observations related to your identified problem. This should be one to two paragraphs. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Problem Diagnosis:
o Using the assessment data, identify one community health nursing problem that you consider to be a priority concern.
o Relate your choice to one of the Healthy People 2020specific numbered objectives (not just a goal). Healthy People objectives are located within a topic area under the Objectives tab.
o Your rationale should also include why this is a problem in your community and factors that contribute to the problem. Avoid discussion of interventions in this milestone. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
o Include a discussion of your problem withinformation from at least two scholarly sources (such as professional journal articles).(Review the documents in the APA category in Doc Sharing for help in determining sources that are considered scholarly—hint, .com websites are not considered scholarly sources).This should beno more than three paragraphs.
- Summary:Summarize your community assessment and diagnosis findings and include a brief statement about the problemand the major factors that contribute to this problem. This information should be no more than two paragraphs. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Reference Page: All references should be cited within the paperand should be included on the reference page.
- Application: Use Microsoft Word 2010 (or later)to create this assignment.
- Use the categories above as APA headings for the sections of your paper.
- Length: This paper is expected to be no more than four pages in length (not including the title page and reference list).
- Submission: Submit your file via the basket in the Dropbox: Milestone 2 Assessment and Diagnosis, by 11:59 p.m.MT Sunday of Week 4.
- Scholarly Writing: APA format is required. Review APA documents in the APA categoryin Course Resourcesand use the free resources of SmartThinking for writing tutors. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Save your paper with your last name in the document title (e.g., Smith Assessment and Diagnosis).
- Late Submission: See the course policy on late submissions.
Best Practicesin Preparing the Paper
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
- Complete the demographic, epidemiologic, and windshield survey prior to choosing a problem to focus on.
- Choose onenursing problem specific to your community. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Make sure all elements of the paper are addressed and headings for each category are included.
- Review directions thoroughly.
- Cite all sources within the paper as well as on the reference page.
- Proofread prior to final submission.
- Check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
- Use the A column of the rubric below to ensure that you have included all the needed elements. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Abide by the CCN academic integrity policy. The paper must be your original work. Once submitted to the Dropbox, check back to ensure that your Turnitin similarity index is less than 24%, if not revise and resubmit prior to the deadline.
Grading Rubric:Milestone 2: Assessment and Diagnosis (225 points)
Outstanding or highest level of performance
Very good or high level of performance
Competent or satisfactory level of performance
Poor or failing or unsatisfactory level of performance
|Introduction10 points||Includes the purpose of the paper and catches the reader’s attention with interesting facts(9–10 points)||Missing purpose of paper orhook(8 points)||Missing purpose of paperand hook(7 points)||Introduction missing(0–6 points)||/10|
|Community Overview20 points||Community identified and adequately described(18–20 points)||Community identified but description is inadequate(16 points)||Community identified but description is missing(15 points)||Community not identified or described(0–14 points)||/20|
|Demographic Data30 points||Describes a range of demographic data about your community fromU.S. Census Bureau reports with comparisons to state or national data(28–30 points)||Adequate demographic data described butmissing state or national comparison(25–27 points)||Little demographic data andmissing state or national comparisons(23–24 points)||Lacks demographic data andmissing state or national comparisons(0–22 points)||/30|
|Epidemiological Data (Disease or health behavior rates)30 points||Describes a range of epidemiological data about community fromappropriate reports with comparisons to state or national data(28–30 points)||Adequate epidemiological data described but missing state or national comparison(25–27 points)||Little epidemiological data and missing state or national comparisons(23–24 points)||Lacks epidemiological data and missing state or national comparisons(0–22 points)||/30|
|Windshield Survey20 points||Community windshield survey findings adequatelysummarized andfindings relate to identified problem(18–20 points)||Windshield survey findings adequately summarized but not clearly related to identified problem(16 points)||Windshield survey findings not adequately summarized and not related to the problem(15 points)||Windshield survey findings not described(0–14 points)||/20|
|Problem Diagnosis40 points||Assessment data used to identify one priority community healthproblem, Healthy People 2020 specific objective included, and rationale for problem selection stated with supportive data (such as factors that contribute to this problem) from two scholarly articles(37–40 points)||Problem not related to Healthy People objectiveorlacks rationale with supportive data(34–36 points)||Problem not related to Healthy People objectiveandlacks rationale with supportive data(30–33 points)||Problem discussion missing(0–29 points)||/40|
|Application of Evidence-Based Scholarly Resources30 points||Two or more quality references from professional literature discussed with clear support of your problem rationale(28–30 points)||Two references discussed, but information does not clearly support problem rationaleor references are not scholarly(25–27points)||Only one reference discussed that is directly relevant to problem rationale(23–24 points)||No references discussed(0–22 points)||/30|
|Summary20 points||Summary includes assessment and diagnosis findings, a brief statement about the problem, and factors that contribute to this problem(18–20 points)||Lacks reiteration of assessment findings or problem identificationor contributing factors(17 points)||Summary lacks two or more of:reiteration of assessment findings, problem identification, and contributing factors(16 points)||Summary not completed(0–15 points)||/20|
|Presentation10 points||Discussion well organized and logical andstructure is clear and compelling to reader; paragraphs are linked together logically, and main ideas stand out(9–10 points)||Discussion missing one of the organizational elements in column one and has some minor organizational concerns(8 points)||Discussion missing two of the organizational elements in column one and overall flow is difficult to follow(7 points)||Paper appears disorganized and is difficult to understand(0–6points)||/10|
|Mechanics15 points||Excellent mechanics with no more than two of the following errors:– correct grammar, spelling
-all sources cited in the text
-all references listed on the reference page and in APA format
-title page in APA format
-correct APA format of headings
-12 point font, double spaced, 1 inch margins
Guidelines for Caring for PopulationsMilestone 3:
Intervention and Evaluation
The purpose of this PowerPoint presentation is to provide an opportunity to develop a community health nursing intervention and evaluation tool for your identified community health problem (described in Milestone 2: Assessment and Diagnosis) and identify the components of the nursing process as they apply to a community or population.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
CO1: Apply principles of nursing theory to the public health system by analyzing determinants of health and the public health intervention wheel. (PO 1)
CO3: Plan prevention and population-focused interventions for vulnerable populations using professional clinical judgment and evidence-based practice. (PO 4, 8) Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
CO4: Evaluate the delivery of care for individuals, families, aggregates, and communities based on theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines. (PO 1)
Submit your assignment to the appropriate basket in the Dropboxby 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday of Week 6.
You are a community public health nurse (C/PHN) working in your setting of choice. You have analyzed the data collected from your windshield survey and assessment and diagnosis assignments (the first two milestones) and identified one community health nursing problem. You have decided on onenursing intervention and need your organization’s approval for funding of this intervention. Your leadership team has agreed to listen to your proposal. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Watch the Milestone 3 tutorialby clicking this link. This tutorial is also available on Course Project page under Course Home as well as Week 6 Assignments page.
- Choose a community health nurse setting.Some examples of settings are school nurse, parish nurse, home health nurse, nurse working in the health department (be specific to what area in the health department, e.g., WIC, STD clinic, health promotion, maternal-child health, etc.)
- Introduction:Introduce the identified problem, the purpose of the presentation, and reiterate at least one or two important findings that demonstrate this problem in your community (average of 1–2 slides)
- Proposed Intervention:Propose one community health nursing intervention that would address one or more of the major factors that contribute to the problem(average of 3–4 slides).
o Describe your specific nursing intervention relating it to the public health intervention wheel (Nies& McEwen, 2015, p. 14, Figure 1-3)
o Whois your target population?
o Where is this intervention taking place?
o Will it take place one time or multiple times? Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
o How will you reach out to your target population?
- How will you get your target population involved?
o What is the CH nurse’s role in this intervention?
o Will you collaborate with anyone (e.g., physician’s office, church, local resources, etc.)
o Is anyone else involved besides yourself (C/PHN)?
- If yes, are they paid or volunteers?
o What level(s) of prevention is your intervention addressing (primary, secondary, or tertiary prevention)?
- Intervention Justification:Justify why the problem and your nursing intervention should be a priority.
o Based on what you have found in the scholarly literature, discuss why these interventions are expected to be effective.
o Include summarized information from at least two professional scholarly sources from peer reviewed journals related to your intervention (average of 2–3 slides).
- Proposed Evaluation Methods: Your presentation must include at least oneproposed quantitative or qualitative evaluation method thatyouwould use to determine whether your intervention is effective. Outcome measurement is a crucial piece whenimplementing interventions(average of 2–3 slides)
o Describe at least one quantitative or qualitative method you would use to evaluate whether your intervention was effective. (There is a helpful tool found in Doc Sharing to assist you with understanding qualitative and quantitative methods of evaluation).
o Describe the desired outcomes you would track that would show whether your intervention was working. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
o Include a discussion about the long-term and short-term impact on your community if the intervention issuccessful.
- Summary: The summary should reiterate the main points of the presentation and conclude with what you are asking to be accomplished; for example, “Based on ABC, it is imperative our community has XYZ. Thank you for your consideration.”
- In addition to the slides described above, your presentation should include a title slide with your name includedand a reference slide.Remember, you are presenting to your leadership team, so the slides should include the most important elements for them to know inshort bullet pointed phrases. You may add additional comments in the notes section to clarify information for your instructor. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Application: Use Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (or later).
- Length:The PowerPoint slide show is expected to be no more than 20slides in length (not including the title slide and reference list slide).
- Submission: Submit your files via the basket in the Dropbox: Milestone 3 Intervention and Evaluation by 11:59 p.m. Sunday of Week 6.
- Savethe assignment with your last name in the filetitle:example: “Smith Intervention and Evaluation.”
- Late Submission:Seethe course policy on late submissions.
- Tutorial: If needed, Microsoft Office has many templates and tutorials to help you get started.
Best Practices in Preparing PowerPoint
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
- Be creative but realistic with your intervention and evaluation tool.
- Incorporate graphics, clip art, or photographs to increase interest.
- Slides should be easy to read with short bullet points and large font.
- Review directions thoroughly.
- Cite all sources within the slides with (author, year) as well as on the reference page.
- Proofread prior to final submission.
- Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission. Core Functions of Public Health Nursing Paper.
- Abide by the CCN academic integrity policy.
Grading Rubric: Caring for Populations: Intervention and Evaluation (250 points)