Diagnostic Tests in Adults and Children Assignment
Diagnostic Tests in Adults and Children
When seeking to identify a patient’s health condition, advanced practice nurses can use a diverse selection of diagnostic tests and assessment tools; however, different factors affect the validity and reliability of the results produced by these tests or tools. Nurses must be aware of these factors in order to select the most appropriate test or tool and to accurately interpret the results.Diagnostic Tests in Adults and Children Assignment
Not only do these diagnostic tests affect adults, body measurements can provide a general picture of whether a child is receiving adequate nutrition or is at risk for health issues. These data, however, are just one aspect to be considered. Lifestyle, family history, and culture-among other factors-are also relevant. That said, gathering and communicating this information can be a delicate process.Diagnostic Tests in Adults and Children Assignment
In this Discussion, you will consider the validity and reliability of different assessment tools and diagnostic tests. You will explore issues such as sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values. You will also consider examples of children with various weight issues. You will explore how you could effectively gather information and encourage parents and caregivers to be proactive about their children’s health and weight.Diagnostic Tests in Adults and Children Assignment
- Review this week’s learning resources and consider factors that impact the validity and reliability of various assessment tools and diagnostic tests. We will also review examples of pediatric patients and their families as it relates to BMI.
- This week you will be assigned one of the following DB by your instructor.
- Select one of the following assessment tools or diagnostic tests to explore for the purposes of this Discussion: Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test
- Select one of the examples on which to focus for this Discussion. What health issues and risks may be relevant to the child you selected?Diagnostic Tests in Adults and Children Assignment
- 5-year-old girl of normal weight with obese parents
- Search the Walden Library and credible sources for resources explaining the tool or test you selected. What is its purpose, how is it conducted, and what information does it gather?
- What does the literature discuss regarding the validity, reliability, and are there any issues with sensitivity, specificity, predictive values, ethical dilemmas, and controversies related to the test or tool?Diagnostic Tests in Adults and Children Assignment
- Based on the risks you identified, consider what further information you would need to gain a full understanding of the child’s health. Think about how you could gather this information in a sensitive fashion.
- Consider how you could encourage parents or caregivers to be proactive toward the child’s health.Diagnostic Tests in Adults and Children Assignment