Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper
Assignment: Application: Planned Change
in a Department or Unit
Health care organizations are continuously immersed in change from the emergence of new policies, to promote quality care and improve patient safety to keeping pace with the rapid growth in knowledge and best practices. Establishing a solid framework for planning and implementing change is a wise move, as it provides a foundation for the extensive coordination that will be needed to successfully facilitate the change.Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper
For this Assignment, you propose a change at the department or unit level and develop a plan for guiding the change effort.
- Review Chapter 8 in the course text. Focus on Kurt Lewin’s change theory, and contrast it with other classic change models and strategies.
- Reflect on problems, inefficiencies, and critical issues within a specific department, unit, or area in your organization or one with which you are familiar. Select one issue as a focal point for this assignment, and consider a change that could be made to address the issue.Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper
- Think about how the change would align with the organization’s mission, vision, and values as well as relevant professional standards.
- Using one of the change models or strategies discussed in Chapter 8, begin formulating a plan for implementing the change within the department/unit. Outline the steps that you and/or others should follow to facilitate the change effort. Align these steps to the change model or strategy you selected.
- Determine who should be involved in initiating and managing the change. Consider the skills and characteristics that are necessary to facilitate this change effort.Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper
By Day 7
Write a 3- to 5-page paper (page count does not include title and reference page) that addresses the following:
- Identify a problem, inefficiency, or issue within a specific department/unit.
- Describe a specific, realistic change that could be made to address the issue.
- Summarize how the change would align with the organization’s mission, vision, and values as well as relevant professional standards.
- Identify a change model or strategy to guide your planning for implementing the change. Provide a rationale for your selection.Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper
- Outline the steps that you and/or others would follow to facilitate the change. Align these steps to your selected change model or strategy.
- Explain who would be involved in initiating and managing this change. Describe the skills and characteristics that would be necessary to facilitate the change effort.
Reminder: The School of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The Sample Paper provided at the Walden Writing Center provides an example of those required elements. All papers submitted must use this formatting.
Note: This Assignment will serve as your Portfolio Assignment for this course.
Submission and Grading Information
Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2017). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing: Theory and application (9th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper
- Review Chapter 7, “Strategic and Operational Planning”
- Chapter 8, “Planned Change”
This chapter explores methods for facilitating change and the theoretical underpinnings of implementing effective change
McAlearney, A., Terris, D., Hardacre, J., Spurgeon, P. Brown, C., Baumgart, A., Nyström, M. (2014). Organizational coherence in health care organizations: Conceptual guidance to facilitate quality improvement and organizational change. Quality Management in Health Care, 23(4), 254–267 doi: 10.1097/QMH.0b013e31828bc37d
An international group of investigators explored the issues of organizational culture and Quality Improvement (QI) in different health care contexts and settings. The aim of the research was to examine if a core set of organizational cultural attributes are associated with successful QI systems.Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper
Mitchell, G. (2013). Selecting the best theory to implement planned change. Nursing Management - UK, 20(1), 32–37. doi: 10.7748/nm2013.04.20.1.32.e1013
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
Shirey, M. R. (2013). Lewin's Theory of Planned Change as a strategic resource. The Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(2), 69–72. doi:10.1097/NNA.0b013e31827f20a9
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2012g). Organizational dynamics: Planned change and project planning. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 9 minutes.
In this week’s media presentation, experts discuss how today’s health care organizations can capitalize on the strengths of nurse leaders to plan for and navigate change effectively.Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper
Accessible player --Downloads-- Download Video w/CC Download Audio Download Transcript
Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2017). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing: Theory and application (9th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Chapter 9, “Time Management”
Batras, D., Duff, C., & Smith, B. J. (2014). Organizational change theory: implications for health promotion practice. Health Promotion International, Retrieved from MEDLINE with Full Text, EBSCOhost
This article reviews select organizational change models to identify the most pertinent insights for health promotion practitioners.Falls in the Medical Surgical Unit Essay Assignment Paper