Health Determinants Nursing Paper
Health determinants in Austin, TX
Austin, Texas demographic trend
Austin is fast changing as an urban area and a city. In the recent past, the city of Austin as no ethnic or demographic groups which exists as a majority in the city population. This means there has been increased in racial and ethnic groups. In 2000, in Texas, the population was 20,851,820, this population increase to 25,145, 561 by 2010 and in 2016 this city had 27,862,596 people. The statistics show that the state has experienced a 10.8% increase in population between 2000 and 2016. The survey conducted shows that there has been a decrease in families-with children share (Austin Public Health, 2017). Citywide, the trend is the same in general number of families-with-children which has gone up whereas share of houses from families-with-children has reduced. What this implies is that the increase in population and reduction in share put a strain on health care providers.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
Considering the increase in population, in the foreseeable future, the city health care burden will continue to increase and the city inability to shoulder the cost will increase. It is interesting to note that the Austin region is continuing to experience an increase in urban sprawl. There is less land available surrounding Austin.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
Social and environmental factors affect the health of the people in Austin. These factors include safe housing, job opportunities, green space, access to education and public safety. The social determinants of health affect people and addressing the same can reduce health disparities. In Austin, the poverty rate is 16.0 %. Studies associate poverty with health risks such as physical inactivity and lack of health insurance (Robinson, 2017). Poverty is also considered as contributing factors to mental and stress health. Also, the survey showed that a quarter of the adults in Austin do not have health insurance. One of out of 6 people forgoes seeing a medic because of cost. To this end, affordability and access to health care is a barrier to care Health Determinants Nursing Paper
- Centers of recreation. Through community input, there are several access to parks, recreation centers and trails. Other areas are unfortunate and lack infrastructures, services and facilities which support well-being.
- Nutrition class: there is a commonly known strength of free fitness and nutrition class provided in the community. Focus groups shared about free screening. Several clinics have been integrated with services such as mental health care and gyms.
- The economy: looking at the kind of structures in Austin, there are some developments. People are relatively business and this an indication of a reduced rate of unemployment. Moreover, comparing this place to other neighborhoods, Austin is a healthy place to live. There is an affordable and healthy food nearby.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
The health disparities in the US are great. In Austin in particular, they are found across the populations. Many of the health difference appear early in life and they increase as people progress with life and these can disrupt the ideal developmental trajectories and the access to other opportunities. The health difference are possibly rooted in many factors such as a difference in access to public healthcare, individual behaviors, for instance, diet and physical activity, social factors also determine the health aspects of the people and some social issues including education, poverty and income. Finally, the quality of social and physical environment also determine the quality of health of the mass (ODPHP, 2016). The social determinants of health which could be identified during the windscreen survey include poverty, education, gender, race and ethnicity. These factors influence
- The development of illness
- Healthcare outcome
- Ability to get and use healthcare.
In the medical field, nurses are likely to be confronted by patients social and demographics situation such as language barriers, poverty and lack of health insurance cover (Cohen & Martinez, 2014). Pieces of research show that these aspects limit the quality of health and the equity of service delivery.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
Factors which impact the patients’ health and clinical results such as smoking status, prolonged disease controlling and preventative care measure are all influenced by social elements of health and they influence fight against diseases. This means that health workers will need to consider different approach to care for patients. The level of income, education and economic stability affects the patient health and well-being. These factors also determine how people use medical care. It is believed that patients with low income are more expected to have chronic ailments because of social difficulties and increased susceptibility.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
The sexual category is a significant social determinant of risk factors for many sicknesses in the US. The threat factors for neck and head squamous cell carcinomas, great risk sexual behaviors and smoking pattern vary based on gender. Moreover, besides mastering these social determinants, physical determinant like geography and environment are important. The physical environment determines allergen contact, capacity to exercise and other aspects which lead to illness.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
Determinants are factors which contribute to a personal state of health. These factors include socioeconomic, biological, psychological and behavioral issues. Through the windscreen survey, it was evident that the population in Austin in Texas has five health determinants and these include (1) biological factors such as sex and age, (2) individual actions like drugs use, unsafe sex and smoking, (3) social background which include earning, and (4) physical environment which is basically where people (Braveman & Egerter, 2011). These factors need to be addressed for the city to achieve improved health care.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
Austin Public Health. (2017, September). Community Health Assessment Austin/Travis County. Retrieved August 09, 2018, from http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Health/CHA-CHIP/ATC_CHA_DRAFT_09_26_17__002_.pdf
Braveman, P., & Egerter, S. (2011). Broadening the focus: The need to address the social determinants of health. Journal of Preview medication, 40, 4–18.
Cohen, R., & Martinez, M. (2014, June). Health insurance coverage: Early release of estimates from the National Health Interview Survey. Retrieved August 09, 2018, from National Center for Health Statistics.: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/insur201506.pdf
ODPHP. (2016). Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Retrieved August 09, 2018, from Healthy People 2020. Social determinants of health.: https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/social-determinants-of-health.
Robinson, R. (2017). Austin Demographics trends. Retrieved August 09, 2018, from City of Austin: http://www.austintexas.gov/page/top-ten-demographic-trends-austin-texasHealth Determinants Nursing Paper
Develop a 5–7-page proposal for a wellness education program for a specific population. Integrate aspects of culture, CAM and spirituality, and linguistics into the program. Explain how to market the program to the population, and explain the ethical, legal, and economic factors that can affect the health of the population.
Note: The assessments in this course build upon each other, so you are strongly encouraged to complete them in sequence.
Health care initiatives focus on changing demographics and emerging health problems. Among the challenges faced by health care professionals are cultural and linguistic competence and the role they play in the ability to provide effective care. Health care professionals need to develop skills in conducting gap analyses within their own communities, design effective health education and wellness programs to address those gaps, and remain mindful that effective care depends on the ability to build trust within the community being served.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Explain the principles and concepts of disease prevention and health promotion for diverse and vulnerable populations.
- Explain how educating a population about health promotion and disease prevention benefits the health and wellness for a population.
- Competency 2: Develop evidence-based health promotion and disease prevention initiatives for diverse and vulnerable populations.
- Integrate linguistic and cultural considerations, CAM, traditional medicine, holistic health, and spirituality into an evidence-based wellness plan for a population.
- Competency 4: Examine the ethical, legal, and economic factors related to health disparities in diverse and vulnerable populations. Health Determinants Nursing Paper
- Describe the ethical principles that can affect preventative care and health promotion.
- Explain how local laws, federal laws, and the Affordable Health Care Act can affect preventative care and health promotion.
- Explain the economic impact of clinical prevention and health promotion related to health disparities for a population.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the health care professions.
- Write content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, APA formatting, and mechanics.
Your team has succeeded in demonstrating the need for a health promotion and disease prevention initiative for the population identified by your Windshield Survey assessment. Now you need to develop a proposal for a wellness education program that will help bridge the gaps in health care service delivery.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
Use the Capella library and the Internet to find scholarly and professional resources that will help you propose a wellness education program for the health concern of your population. Find at least four resources to use in this assessment. You may also want to review the previous assessments you completed in this course.
Based on your Windshield Survey and Organizational Evaluation assessments, complete the following:
- Design an evidence-based wellness program to address the primary health concern of the population that integrates:
- Cultural considerations: Will you need to consult with someone from the population on how to approach the delivery of your program?
- CAM, traditional medicine, holistic health, and spirituality considerations.
- Linguistic considerations: Will you need interpreters or translators for either written or oral presentations?
- Educational considerations: What will be the best way to educate the population?
- Describe how you will market or advertise the wellness program. Health Determinants Nursing Paper
- What are the benefits the program offers the population?
- Will you need incentives to ensure participation and completion of the program?
- Explain the ethical, legal, and economic factors that impact the health and wellness of the population. For example:
- The ethical considerations (such as justice, non-malfeasance, and duty) that can affect preventative care and health promotion.
- Local laws, federal laws, and the Affordable Health Care Act that can affect preventative care and health promotion.
- The potential economic impact of clinical prevention and health promotion related to health disparities of your population.
The format for this assessment should be a professional proposal. If possible, ask about the format used for proposals in your organization and follow that. Follow APA formatting for your in-text citations and references.Health Determinants Nursing Paper
- Include a title page and reference page. The completed assessment should be 5–7 pages in length, not including a title page and a reference page.
- Reference at least four current scholarly or professional resources.
- Use current APA format for citations and references.
- Use Times New Roman font, 12 point.
- Double space.
Health Determinants Nursing Paper