NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
The purpose of this paper is to apply information gathered from the Family Genetic History and Milestone 1 assignments to identify one modifiable risk factor and develop an evidence-based teaching plan that promotes health as well as improves patient outcomes.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
· CO4: Identify teaching/learning needs from the health history of an individual. (PO2)
This assignment is worth a total of 225 points.
General Directions & Project Guidelines
· This paper is expected to be no more than four pages in length (not including the title page and reference list).
· Please use the categories listed below as the first level headings for each section of your paper (Exception: Instead of "Introduction" please use the title of your paper).
Using the information gathered in your Genetic Family History and Milestone 1 assignments, you will identify and research one modifiable risk factor. You will develop an evidence-based teaching plan that promotes health, with the aim of improving patient outcomes related to this modifiable risk factor.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
A. Introduction (1 paragraph): The introduction should be interesting and capture the reader's attention.
· State one preventable disease your adult participant is at risk for developing (obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, etc.), based on the information you have gathered during this course.
· Introduce one modifiable risk factor (diet, smoking, sedentary lifestyle, etc.) associated with the preventable disease you described.
· Clearly state the purpose of your paper. The purpose statement should relate to developing a patient teaching plan.
B. Preventable Disease Overview (1-2 paragraphs): Please use course materials and scholarly sources to complete this section. Be sure to paraphrase and include citations as needed!NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
· Describe briefly the preventable disease you identified in the introduction.
· What are the signs and symptoms associated with this disease?
· How is it diagnosed? Notable information from Health History and General Survey? Signs and symptoms? Risk assessments? Lab values?
· What physical assessment findings would be associated with this disease?
· How did you identify your adult participant's risk for this disease?
· Specific information gathered in the Genetic Family History?
· Specific information gathered in the Milestone 1 assignment?
C. Evidence Based Intervention (1-2 paragraphs):NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
· Choose and describe one evidence based intervention related to the modifiable risk factor you have chosen. (One that has been shown to be effective at reducing an individual's risk for developing the preventable disease.)
· Describe this intervention in detail, and provide rationale for your intervention utilizing:
· At least one scholarly peer-reviewed journal article. Go to the Chamberlain library at http:/library.chamberlain.edu (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Search peer reviewed journals to find a scholarly article that discusses interventions associated with the modifiable risk factor you have chosen as the focus of your paper. Summarize what you learned from this article and cite the source in the text and reference page (Author, year). The article must be less than 10 years old. You may include and cite your textbook or other scholarly sources as well, but they do not count as the scholarly journal article.
· You must summarize and analyze the information from your sources in your own words. Avoid direct quotations. If you do include a short quotation, be sure to cite it properly.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
· List short and long term goals you have for your participant related to this intervention.
D. Implementation: Teaching Plan (1-2 paragraphs):
· Discuss in this section what methods you will use to teach your participant how to implement the intervention.
· What is it that you are asking them to do? (For example, if your intervention is "quit smoking", what specific steps will you recommend your participant take to achieve this goal?)
· Describe any resources you would provide to the participant to help them understand and be successful (websites, community services, handouts, etc.).
E. Evaluation (1 paragraph):
· Describe at least one method (weight, lab values, etc.) you would use to evaluate whether your intervention was effective.
· How would you revise you plan if it proved to be unsuccessful?NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
F. Summary (1 paragraph):
· Summarize the main points of your paper.
· Reiterate what you hope to accomplish by implementing this intervention.
· End with a concluding statement.
G. Reference Page:
· The Reference Page should start on a new page (insert a page break).
· All references should be cited within the body of the paper as (Author, year) and the full reference should be included in APA format on the reference page.
· A URL link alone is not an adequate reference.
· See the Chamberlain Guidelines for Writing Professional Papers in Course Resources for examples of properly formatted references.
Best Practices - Tips for Writing a Great Paper!
· Review the directions, guidelines, and grading rubric thoroughly.
· Use the APA template provided.
· Be clear. Write about one preventable disease, one modifiable risk factor, and one related intervention.
· Proofread prior to final submission. Having another person review your work is often helpful to catch grammar and spelling errors. (Spell check is not perfect!)
· Abide by the CCN academic integrity policy.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
**Academic Integrity Reminder**
Chamberlain College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment.
NOTE: Please use your browser's File setting to save or print this page.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeIntroduction
The introduction -catches the reader’s attention, -states one preventable disease -correctly identifies one modifiable risk factor associated with the disease -includes a purpose.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomePreventable Disease Overview
Correctly identifies a preventable disease and provides a brief description including signs and symptoms, how it is diagnosed, and how the adult participant was identified to be at risk.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeEvidence Based Intervention
One evidenced based intervention (related to the modifiable risk factor) is described thoroughly AND rationale for the intervention is supported by one relevant peer reviewed journal AND short term and long term goals are listed.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeTeaching Plan
Methods for teaching the participant how to implement the intervention are described in detail, including resources to be provided to the participant.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeEvaluation
Short term and long term goals restated AND at least one appropriate method of evaluation is described in detail AND a plan is described if the adult participant was unsuccessful.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeSummary
Main points of the paper are summarized, including reiteration of what is hoped to be accomplished. Ends with a concluding statement.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeMechanics and organization
Excellent mechanics and organization with minimal errors of the following: well organized and logical, correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling, professional wording is used, uses complete sentences, paragraphs are linked together logically, and main ideas expressed clearly.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAPA Format.NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment.
Excellent APA formatting with minimal errors of the following: all sources cited in the assignment in APA format, all references listed on the reference page in APA format, title page in general APA format, headings present and in APA format, 12-point font, double spaced, 1 inch margins, paragraphs indented, no more than one short quotation, and length four pages or less
|Total Points: 225.0|
NR305_Milestone2 The Family Genetic History Assignment