NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment
Week 2: Common Screenings for Women
Many screening procedures are often recommended and routinely used with women to detect diseases in the earliest stages possible. Consider Cindy, who was 28 years old when she received the results of her annual pap smear. The results of the test were abnormal, leading to a diagnosis of human papillomavirus (HPV)NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment. While Cindy’s type of HPV did not require treatment, subsequent annual pap smears were highly recommended due to risks associated with the disease. Five years later, after another round of abnormal screening results, Cindy was diagnosed with aggressive cervical cancer, which was then successfully treated (Tamika & Friends, Inc., 2011). For diseases like cervical cancer, screenings and early detection can save patients’ lives, as it did in Cindy’s case. As an advanced practice nurse caring for women, you must be able to provide recommendations for screening tests, interpret test results, and develop care plans that meet the unique needs of patients.NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment
By the end of this week, students will:
- Evaluate strengths and limitations of guidelines for screening procedures
- Analyze the influence of guidelines on clinical decision making
- Analyze the impact of advanced practice nurses on issues related to screening guidelines
- Evaluate diagnoses for patients
- Evaluate treatment and management plans
- Understand and apply key terms, principles, and concepts related to clinical guidelines on screening procedures
- Analyze differences between common screenings for younger women and common screenings for older women
Discussion: Guidelines on Screening Procedures
The goal of health promotion and education is to help prevent disease in patients. However, this is not always successful, and disease it not always preventable. With disease, early detection is ideal, often making screening procedures a routine part of clinical care.NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment. Unfortunately, many patients do not utilize these health services. This can be attributed to lack of awareness or access to care, financial concerns, or even levels of comfort with health care providers. In your role as the advanced practice nurse, you must be aware of potential obstacles for patients and implement strategies to ensure patients receive necessary screenings. Although a variety of screening procedures are recommended for women at various stages of life, not all screenings are appropriate for all patients. Understanding the strengths and limitations of each screening, as well as current guidelines for use is essential to effectively facilitate patient care. For this Discussion, the course Instructor will assign a specific topic for you to research.NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment
- Review this week’s media presentation, as well as Chapters 6 and 8 of the Tharpe et al. text and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services article in the Learning Resources.
- Research guidelines on screening procedures for the topic assigned to you by the course Instructor (e.g., guidelines on screening for domestic violence, safety, nutrition, osteoporosis, heart disease, mental health, eating disorders, thyroid disease, pap smear, mammogram, cancer, and sexually transmitted infections). Note: The course Instructor will assign a topic to you by Day 1 of this week.
- Reflect on strengths and limitations of the screening guidelines.
- Consider how the guidelines might support your clinical decision making.NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment
By Day 3
Post an explanation of the guidelines on screening procedures for the topic assigned to you "THYROID DISEASE". Include an explanation of strengths and limitations of the guidelines. Then, explain how the guidelines might support your clinical decision making.NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days who were assigned different topics than you. Explain a patient scenario in which your colleague’s guidelines might not be appropriate. Then, explain how you would provide care for the patient in the scenario. Finally, explain how you, as an advanced practice nurse, might be able to impact issues related to these screening guidelines.NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the "Post to Discussion Question" link and then select "Create Thread" to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click on Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and you cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking on Submit! NURS 6651: Primary Care of Women Essay Assignment