NURS 8000: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Project Question
Consider issues related to your nursing practice. What stands out to you about your specialty area? What questions or concerns do you think are especially in need of attention? Why? How would you most like to contribute to the knowledge base of your profession?
The EBP Project provides a significant opportunity for furthering the nursing profession. Formulating a specific, applicable question is a necessary first step for developing your project. The question defines the focus of the EBP Project and guides your selection of research methods and tools.NURS 8000: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Project Question. Think about aspects of your specialty area and begin to formulate a question that relates to your nursing practice.
The primary purpose of this Discussion is to provide a forum in which you and your colleagues can support each other in cultivating a practice-related question.
- Develop your EBP Project question using the PICO (patient group, issue or intervention, comparison, outcome) method as described in Chapter 2 of Clinical Research for the Doctor of Nursing Practice (p. 29) and other resources. Depending on your specialty area, you may modify the PICO method as necessary to be appropriate for your target population.
- Begin to complete the “Literature Review Matrix,” reviewing at least four to six research articles relevant to your specialty area and your EBP Project question. Note any areas of difficulty that you encounter, as well as any strategies or insights that might be beneficial to others.
- Reflect on the information presented in the McCurry, Revell, and Roy article listed in the Learning Resources.
- What questions or concerns, if any, do you have about how to develop your project question and/or expand your expertise in your specialty area?NURS 8000: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Project Question.
By tomorrow 08/28/18 10pm write a minimum of 550 words in APA format with at least 3 scholarly references from the list of required readings below. Answer the questions as numbered below:
Post a cohesive scholarly response that addresses the following:
1) Share your project question, as you have developed it thus far (Write the questions exactly as the PIICOT Template provided in the attached file area).
2) Discuss salient elements that inform your project question: theory, current research, nursing practice, and specialty knowledge.
3) Pose any questions or concerns you may have related to developing your project question or literature review. You may also include any other issues related to expanding your expertise within your specialty area.
Terry, A. J. (2018). Clinical research for the doctor of nursing practice (3rd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Chapter 2, “Developing the Researchable Problem”
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2006). The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/dnp/Essentials.pdf
Jeffs, L., Beswick, S., Lo, J., Campbell, H., Ferris, E., & Sidani, S. (2013). Defining what evidence is, linking it to patient outcomes, and making it relevant to practice: Insight from clinical nurses. Applied Nursing Research, 26, 105-109.
McCurry, M. K., Revell, S. M. H., & Roy, C. (2009). Knowledge for the good of the individual and society: Linking philosophy, disciplinary goals, theory, and practice. Nursing Philosophy, 11(1), 42–52.
Melnyk, B.M., Fineout-Overhold, E., Stillwell, S.B., & Williamson, K.M. (2010). Evidence-based practice step-by-step: The seven steps of evidence-based practice. American Journal of Nursing, 110(1), 51-53.NURS 8000: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Project Question.
Stillwell, S. B., Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B. M., & Williamson, K. M. (2010). Evidence-based practice, step by step: Asking the clinical question: A key step in evidence-based practice. American Journal of Nursing, 110(3), 58–61.
Tschannen, D., Aebersold, M., Kocan, M., Lundy, F., & Potempa, K. (2015). Improving patient care through student leadership in team quality improvement projects. Journal Nursing Care Quality, 30(2), 181-186.
Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching. (2017) Bloom’s Taxonomy Retrieved from https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/blooms-taxonomy/
Yensen, J. (2013). PICO Search Strategies. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), 17 (3). Available at
Please use the following template for writing your PIICOT question in upcoming assignments
· P= Patient group/Population
· I= Issue
· I= Intervention
· intervention should be based on high level evidence and a specific national guideline (look at the National Guideline Clearinghouse, Registered Nurses Association of Ontario Guidelines,Joanna Briggs Institute, Cochrane Library, CDC, Healthy People 2020, NIH, ADA, AHA, etc.NURS 8000: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Project Question)
· C= Comparison
· O= Outcomes that will be measured
· T= Time
PIICOT QUESTION NARRATIVE FORMAT:
· In ________ (customize this with your patient group/population) within an urban/rural X (acute care/ambulatory care/long-term care) agency in X (northern, eastern, Midwestern) United States, how does X protocol adoption (as recommended by X national guideline -give title of specific guideline…not just something vague like National Guideline Clearinghouse) impact ____________ (customize this with the main, high-level outcomes you want this project to achieve) as measured X months post-implementation when compared to the current standard of care (list the current standard-no X protocol)?NURS 8000: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Project Question